Sourdough Bread Recipe Homemade
Here is a simple and easy-to-follow sourdough bread recipe that you can make at home:
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) active sourdough starter
- 350 grams (12.5 ounces) warm water (90-95°F)
- 500 grams (4 cups) bread flour
- 10 grams (1.5 teaspoons) fine sea salt
Instructions for Bakery style Sourdough Bread Recipe:
- Feed your sourdough starter: If your starter is not active and bubbly, feed it 50 grams of flour and 50 grams of water. Let it sit at room temperature for 4-6 hours until it has doubled in size.
- Autolyse: In a large mixing bowl, combine the active sourdough starter, warm water, and bread flour. Mix until just combined, there should be no dry flour remaining. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rest at room temperature for 30-60 minutes.
- Bulk Fermentation: Add the salt to the dough and mix until evenly distributed. The dough will be sticky and wet, but this is normal. Cover the bowl again and let it rest at room temperature for 2-4 hours, performing stretch and folds every 30-60 minutes. This helps develop the gluten and strengthen the dough structure.
- Shaping: Once the dough has doubled in size and feels airy, it’s time to shape it into a round loaf. Lightly flour your work surface and gently transfer the dough onto it. Fold the edges of the dough towards the center, creating a round shape. Repeat this process until the dough is smooth and tightly shaped.
- Proofing: Place the shaped dough in a floured bowl, seam side down. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it proof at room temperature for 2-3 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Baking: Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C) with a baking stone or Dutch oven inside. If using a baking stone, place a shallow pan filled with water on the bottom rack to create steam during baking.
- Scoring: Gently transfer the proofed dough onto a piece of parchment paper. Using a sharp razor blade or lame, score the top of the dough with a decorative pattern. This helps the bread expand evenly during baking.
- Baking: If using a Dutch oven, carefully transfer the dough into the preheated Dutch oven. Cover the Dutch oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 200°F (93°C).
- Cooling: Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack before slicing and enjoying.
- Use a kitchen scale for accurate measurements.
- Make sure your sourdough starter is active and bubbly before using it.
- Don’t overwork the dough during mixing.
- Be patient during the bulk fermentation and proofing stages. The dough will rise at its own pace.
- Adjust the baking time based on your oven and the desired crust color.
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing to allow the crumb to set properly.
Enjoy your delicious homemade sourdough bread!